Tuesday, February 25, 2014
Our Inquiry for today is Empathy. Empathy is putting yourself in other peoples shoes. I worked with Cheyanne and Paige
WALT: Comprehend concepts related
to mental health and emotional promotion.
to mental health and emotional promotion.
What is empathy? Empathy is about putting yourself in other people’s shoes, such as knowing how they are feeling. For example: If someone was getting bullied and crying you would want to show empathy because you feel sorry for them, or maybe you've been there and done that before.
Why is it important to show empathy toward others? It is important to show Empathy towards others because is shows you respect them and their feelings. If someone was crying because they fell over you would show empathy towards them because you might have already experienced it before.
What does it mean to “put yourself in someone else’s shoes”? It means to know how they are feeling and what they’re emotions are. They might feel sad or happy or some emotion they're feeling. Putting yourself in someone else's shoes will help them and probably yourself
What does that have to do with empathy? Empathy is when you know what other people are feeling and what they are going through. Putting yourself in someone's shoes connects with Empathy very well in a whole lot of different ways. By caring and helping.
What can you do to show empathy toward another person? You can help them with anything and be kind to them. You can also comfort them when they're feeling lonely or sad. If you've already experienced what other people are going through you can help them to get through it.
Make a Popplet or Google drawing a displaying ways that you can reach out to others.
Think of a time when you hurt someone’s feelings. Describe what happened. I hurt my little sister and I got in trouble with my dad. I was grounded for 3 days.
How did you know you hurt the person’s feelings? They cry or get angry at you because of what you have done to them.
How did you feel about the situation? I feel like taking everything I said or did to them and say nothing instead.
What did you do to make the situation better? I say i’m sorry and hope they will forgive me. Eventually she forgives me.
Discuss how you think your school would change if all of the students showed empathy toward each other. I think it will change into a really good school, everyone will be happy and will always be nice to one another
Do you think it would be a big change or a small ? I think it will be a huge change for Pt England
Why do you think so? I think this because some kids choose to be naughty and sometimes try to disrespect other people.
This is a maths activity that I had to work on for Maths. I got these answers.
1. An orchard has 6 containers with 145 apples in each container. How many apples do they have in total? 6x145, 6x5=30, 6x40=240, 6x100=600- Total- 870
2. A tie company makes 214 ties every day of the week (Monday to Friday). How many ties do they make in one week? 5x214=, 5x4=20, 5x10=50, 5x200=1000- Total- 1070
3. A mail centre received 354 parcels on saturday and another 354 parcels on sunday. How many parcels have they received over the weekends? 708
4. 5 planes have just landed at the airport. Every plane carries 235 passengers. How many passengers in total have just arrived at the airport? 5x235=, 5x5=25, 5x30=150, 5x200=1000- Total- 1175
5. A toy maker has just sent out 8 boxes with 215 toy rockets in each box. How many toy rockets have they sent out in total? 8x215=, 8x5=40, 8x10=80, 8x200=1600- Total- 1720
6. A large department store has 4 boxes of socks there are 121 pairs in every box. How many pairs of socks do they have to sell? 4x121=, 4x1=4, 4x20=80, 4x100=400- Total- 484
7. A bank robber has filled 6 bags with money. He put 254 coins in every bag. How many coins has he stolen in total? 6x254=, 6x4=24, 6x50=300, 6x200=1200- Total- 1524
8. A warehouse has 8 boxes of pencils and there are 480 pencils in every box. How many pencils do they have in total? 8x480=, 8x0=0, 8x80=640, 8x400=3200- Total- 3840
9. A soup company has 5 boxes of cans there are 158 cans in each box. How many cans do they have in total? 5x158=, 5x8=40, 5x50=250, 5x100=500- Total- 790
Thursday, February 13, 2014
Monday, February 10, 2014
During my holidays I went to the Glen Innes Pools with my friend Cheyanne. I kept on asking my mum for quite a while, “Can I go to the pools with Cheyanne?”. Finally I got a yes from her and I was off walking down to the Glen Innes pools.
I couldn't resist just jumping into the cold pool because it was a really sunny day, especially walking from my house all the way to the pools. Power walking out of the changing rooms I dumped my bag in one of the cupboards then ran to my friend Cheyanne, who was waiting by the side of the pool.
While I quickly ran to my friend I almost slipped but I quickly pulled myself back up. It was awkward because I thought everyone saw that happen to me. But luckily no-one was looking. Eventually I completely forgot about it and carried on walking to where Cheyanne was.
It was time to go and it was already 5.30 so out of the pool we went and into the changing rooms. We really didn't want to leave especially when we were having fun. But we left the pools anyways.
Overall my day at the pools was pretty good. Except for that one little slip that could of turned my day into not so great. What I learnt from this was to never run alongside the pool.